Thursday, January 19, 2012

wait. what?

It's been a while since I've posted and I guess a lot has happened...

Classes are now fully underway and BOY was it a surprise. For the first time since the 5th grade, I was actually intellectually stimulated and motivated to an extremely high degree. Okay, rewind... so the classes I'm taking this semester are: Control Systems in BME, Biomedical Measurements II, Thermodynamics and Systems Bio-Diseases. Now, just looking at the names, an average person would probably be thinking: "the frick?" or "he must hate himself" and naturally I thought something along the same lines except I figured it would be somewhat interesting because I'm just weird like that. But to say the least, I was absolutely blown away. All my professors are extremely interesting and intellectual people with very unique and passionate ways of teaching, not to mention the fact that they're extremely funny. I haven't been so captivated by a lecture or by a teacher/professor in too long. For once, the professors understand what it's like to be a student and understand that we are seeing this material for the first time instead of assuming that we're all just a bunch of dumb kids. I guess the fact that the professors respect me, makes me want to respect them. As nerdy as it may seem, I actually look forward to all my lectures and can't wait to be thrown into a pool of new discoveries. But something that kinda shook me was the fact that we (people) know so little about the things happening in our world. In previous classes, when you learn the material you get the general feeling that there is so much stuff discovered already and that there is very little room for improvement... but it's actually the total opposite. I would say that about 60-70% of the material that I learned to take for granted is not even fact yet. I just sat through a 2 hour lecture about cancer and learned that we don't really know anything... we just make assumptions based off of trends but we don't have a clue as to why things happen or why those trends come about... SERIOUSLY?!.... For once in my life, I felt like I could possibly make an impact on this world... I felt like I was being taught things to pave the way for a new science, a new discovery, a new and better medical world. It's crazy how much work is needed to be done in all the fields and it's a shame that they don't emphasize that enough in the introductory classes. Just as my professor said, the modern learning system is to use a bottom-up approach and teach all the basics first and then apply the knowledge to your respective fields, but in this process, students lose sight of why they're even studying what they're studying which leads to more kids quitting or dropping the tough majors. Now that I'm on the "other side" I feel relieved that I fought through all those tough times... in the end, I get to take classes that actually keep me interested.

On another note, I think this semester will actually be a decent semester. Already within the first week, I've been seeing a lot of people and have so many opportunities to get myself out there. I think this may turn out to become a very interesting semester full of growth and change...

I can't fall asleep... I am so tired right now but I just can't get myself to fall asleep which lead me to write this post in the first place. I've been strangely falling asleep around 8-9PM and then waking up at random hours and not being able to fall asleep again. I don't like it one bit but what am I gonna do? I miss home but I am so happy to be back. Here's to a semester with lots of potential!

No comments:

Post a Comment