Tuesday, February 21, 2012

i am a delta function

I am a delta function. A delta function is basically an impulse function of magnitude infinity and width of near zero. It basically looks like an infinitely tall line at a single point. So why am I a delta function?

Well, as a human being, emotions run deep... or just run... in my life. I can't say that I am an extremely emotional person but they are present and do affect the decisions I make in life. It almost seems to me like emotions and logic (or scientific rationality) are antonyms. Emotions and scientific rationality oppose each other which often results in confusion when put together. So, as we try and make decisions or try to think about certain things, we mix those two together and then call it "logical". But if things really were logical, we wouldn't be so confused all the time. I don't think something can be logical when emotions are involved; instead, a purely emotion-less decision or thought can be considered a logical thought (or a scientifically rational thought). With that being said, because we are all human, pure scientific rationality is not obtainable (I don't think)... because our emotions affect everything. But the strange thing about our emotions (which brings me closer to my original statement) is that it is very spontaneous. More often than not, emotions occur spontaneously or suddenly and often catch us off guard because we expect our thoughts and decisions to be logical. So, our emotions turn us into delta functions. A sudden (infinite) peak of thought and questioning that completely changes the function of our lives. We live a relatively constant life (f(x)=0) and then BAM! a peak shoots up and our function goes haywire turning us into delta functions.

And so, I am a delta function. I would say I am an impulse function but that is not true because an impulse function remains at the new value until a certain time period. But, the way I think typically is like that of a delta function. I usually get a sudden shot of emotions and then it all drops and I return to normal. There are times when I will remain at that emotional level for some time but I more often just shoot right back down. An instantaneous rise and fall of emotions which is why I get confused and moody. Strange.

On a side note, I noticed that the success of many consumer products... is user-friendliness. Majority of the success of a product is in its user-friendliness. So how does this apply to my life? I am a product. I am a product of God's Creation Factory and the success of my being sold all depends on my user-friendliness. Will consumers have a hard time using me or working with me? Am I more of a hassle than a benefit to the quality of people's lives? God does not create junk. So that means I have the potential to be a very user-friendly product, but I was given free will. I am a product that can basically choose my success. How willing am I to be shaped by God so that people can find me to be someone that increases the quality of their lives? So really, the choice is mine. But all of this doesn't mean anything if I don't see "user-friendliness" as a priority in my life. So... the real question is: Is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment