Wednesday, May 9, 2012

It's a strange thing...

Today was a pretty productive day. I went to Mugar and studied from 4PM till 3AM. I've got to say, honestly, it took a lot longer than it should have but regardless, I did what I set out to do. I can't really say that I'm feeling all too ready for this Thermodynamics exam. I went through a butt load of material, but it really is difficult to grasp the concepts because a lot of it depends on subtleties... I wish I had been able to grasp these concepts while I was learning them but at this point, I'm just trying to piece together fragments of information. Everything that I've learned so far in this class is somehow interconnected and I really wish that I could get a better idea of how they are connected, but it's not necessarily happening for me.

Anyways, I watched Blood Diamond last night and felt an extremely strong conviction to join Engineers Without Borders. I saw how the movie depicted the lives of African people and the war-torn country that it was shown as and I couldn't help but wish that something could be done. What really got me was the fact that there was a photojournalist in the movie and the way she took pictures to describe and depict the pain and agony made me want to go on a trip to Africa to take pictures in the same way. Of course, I have a long way to go before I even master the art of photojournalism... but I want to master it or at least get very good at it. I want to take trips to torn countries and be able to take pictures that properly and fully display the emotions and culture that is present in those countries... to be able to depict the infinite difference between life in America and life elsewhere. I hope I can live out that kind of a dream.

That movie also motivated me to study harder. It made me realize, that in order for me to make a difference in this world, I can't just be an average student. I need to think of new ideas... be innovative. I need to see this world as a huge pool of opportunity. See the world as a compilation of materials and tools, of which I will use to create things that will better the lives of mankind. I feel like a huge effort is going out to creating sustainable products for third world countries... products that can be created and maintained in a not-so-energy-friendly environment. Energy is the biggest issue in this world... trying to find a clean, powerful and efficient source of energy. And then using that source of energy to power the world to prosperity. I wanna make a change...

I want to be an engineer...

No comments:

Post a Comment